In South Korea, many scholarship programs are provided to International Students. Students can receive the Scholarships from the Universities, Korean Government Ministries, Foundations and Organizations.
Scholarships from Korean Government
Many of the Korean Government Ministries offers several kinds of Scholarship programs to International Students. With every passing year, the number of scholarship receivers is increasing. Presently, the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Culture, Sports & Tourism, the Ministry of Information and Telecommunications, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade provide scholarship programs for International Students. Before applying for the scholarships program, do take the Test of Proficiency in Korean.
Korean Government Scholarship Program for Graduate Students from Ministry of Education
The Ministry of Education provides scholarships for International Students from countries under diplomatic relations with Korea regardless of the areas of study.
- Duration: Scholarship covers two years for Master’s, three years for PhD, and six months to one year for Research as well for Korean language course
- Support Offered: A round-trip air fare, Tuition fees, living cost of 900,000 won per month, research expenses of 420,000 Won per year for students in the field of humanities and 480,000 Won per year for science fields, and medical insurance.
- Application Period: From late November to Mid February
- Scholarship Provider: National Institute for International Education (NIIED), Ministry of Education
- Contact Details: National Institute for International Education (NIIED), Ministry of Education, Tel: 82-2-3668-1389, email: email@example.com
Korean Government Scholarships for Undergraduate Courses from the Ministry of Education
The Ministry of Education provides scholarships for Undergraduate Courses to International Students from countries under diplomatic relations with Korea regardless of the areas of study.
- Duration of Scholarship: Scholarship covers 4 years for Undergraduate degree program along with 1 year of Korean language training course
- Awarded: Round trip air fare, Tuition fees, living expenses 800,000 Won per month, and health Insurance
- Application Period: From the late November to mid-February
- Scholarship Provider: National Institute for International Education (NIIED), Ministry of Education, Tel: 82-2-3668-1357, firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting Excellent Self-Supporting Foreign Students from National Institute for International Education, Ministry of Education
The National Institute for International Education, Ministry of Education provides scholarships for all the International students in all the fields of study. About 400 International Students are offered this scholarship program.
- Duration: 1 year
- Awarded: Living costs 500,000 Won per month plus career counselling and involvement in culture experience camp
- Application Period: January
- Provider Contact: National Institute for International Education, Tel: 82-2-3668-1356, email: email@example.com
Supporting Exchange Students from National Institute for International Education, Ministry of Education
The National Institute for International Education, Ministry of Education provides scholarships program to support exchange students in all the fields of study. About 500 International students are awarded this scholarship.
- Duration of Support: Scholarship covers 6 months or 12 months of course
- Awarded: Scholarship provides a living Expenses of 800,000 Won per month, Reserve Fund 200,000 Won per year, Round-trip airfares 1,700,000 Won on average, and Medical Insurance 15,000 Won per month
- Application Period: January and August
Applying Ways and Means
The candidates must possess a foreign citizenship in order to apply for the Korean Government Scholarship Program. For Undergraduate Program scholarship, the candidate must hold a high school graduation certificate and for postgraduate the candidate should hold a bachelor’s or Master’s degree (as required). Along with the academic records, proof of Korean language proficiency is must. The candidates must apply through the Korean Embassy in their country.
Selection Ways and Means
For Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships- The Korean Embassies will select the qualified candidates based on the standards and criteria set by the NIIED. Then, NIIED will select the candidates from the pool of qualified candidate list sent by the Korean Embassies. The final result will be delivered to the Candidates.
Art Major Asian Scholarship (AMA) from the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
The AMA Scholarship is offered by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism to students from different Asian Countries, who want to study the Arts fields- Music, film, dance and drama, fine arts and traditional arts at the Korean National University of Arts. About 20 students are awarded this scholarship.
- Duration: Scholarship covers 4 years for undergraduate degree program and 2 to 3 years for postgraduate
- Awarded: 18,000,000 Won a year for Undergraduate programs, and 18,000,000 Won a year for postgraduate programs
- Application Period: From June to July
- Scholarship Provider: Korean National University of Arts (KNUA),Tel: 82-2-958-9073, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Fellowships for International Graduate Student Program from the Ministry of Education
International Students from any country who want to study science & technology field in South Korea are awarded this scholarship program. About 100 students are given the scholarships for graduate or doctoral degree programs. To apply for this scholarship program, students must hold a bachelor degree in the relevant discipline and wish to study in South for a 2-year Master program or a 3-year doctoral course.
- Duration: Scholarship covers 2 years for Master studies or 3years for doctoral studies in the science & technology discipline.
- Benefits: 8,400,000 Won for a Master degree program (700,000 Won a month), and 10,800,000 Won for Doctoral degree program (900,000 Won a month)
- Application Period: June and December
- Scholarship Provider: Korea Research Foundation (KRF), Tel: 82-2-3460-5500
Korean Government IT Scholarship Program from the Ministry of Information and Technology
International Students from any country studying a Master or Doctoral degree program in information technology field are eligible to apply. This scholarship is awarded 2 times in a year to about 170 students
- Duration of Support: Scholarship covers 2 years for Master’s degree program and 3 years for Doctoral degree program in the field of information & technology
- Support Given: 10,000,000 Won for a Master degree program (700,000 Won a month) and Doctorate 14,000,000 Won for a doctoral degree program.
- Application Period: For the Spring Semester, December is the time to apply and June for fall semester
- Scholarship Provider: The Institute for Information Technology Advancement, Human Resources Development Division, Tel: 82-42-710-1320
There are many scholarship programs being provided to International Students through Foundations.
Korean Foundation Fellowships for Korean Studies
Korean Language Training Fellowship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
International Students from any country who want to learn Korean for 6 months- 1 year are eligible to apply for the fellowship. About 70 to 80 students are awarded the fellowship. Student who are already pursuing Korean language program are given preference on the basis of their application.
- Duration: Scholarship covers 6 months to 1 year for Korean language training courses
- Support Provided: Monthly stipend of 900,000 to 1,100,000 Won, 300,000 Won for Immigration Support, tuition, and travellers insurance
Fellowships for Field Research
Students who have finished their doctorate degree in Korean Studies and are working on their thesis, or lecturers or researchers associated to University or Research Institution respectively doing lecturing or conducting research related to Korean studies are eligible to apply.
- Duration: 3-12 months
- Support Provided: Round-trip air fare, 1,300,000 Won a month for doctoral studies, 1,500,000 Won a month for lecturers, for professors and associate professors-2,000,000 Won a month, 300,000 Won for immigration support for one-time only, and travellers insurance
- Application Period: From the Late July
Fellowships for Graduate Studies Program
International graduate students studying in a masters or doctoral degree program in Korea as well as Students at the PhD level majoring in Korean studies at a university in North America, Asia, Oceania, and Europe, are also eligible to apply.
- Duration: 12 months
- Support Provided: Tuition and monthly stipend (varies)
International Students who have obtained their Ph.D. degree in a subject related to Korea but are not presently having a full-time faculty position can apply for this fellowship program. The candidate must hold a PhD degree before applying for the fellowship.
- Duration: 12 months
- Support Provided: The support amount varies by institution, country and years of experience of fellowship.
Leading Scholar Research Fellowship
Researchers having their Ph.D degree in Korean-related discipline and are involved in lectures related to Korean as well as research activities are eligible for this fellowship.
- Duration: 6 to 12 months
- Support: Research expenses and grants
The International Scholar Exchange Fellowship - Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies
The Korean foundation offers scholarship to the University Professors and Institutional Researchers from Asian countries carrying out their research in the fields of Humanities and Social Science, telecommunication and Energy related fields. About 50 individuals are awarded this scholarship every year.
- Duration: Scholarship covers 1 year of research
- Awarded: Return airfare, 2.2 million Won research expenses, entry expenses, and insurance
- Application Deadline: February 15
- Scholarship Provider Contact: Korea Foundation for Advanced Studies-KFAS
Scholarships from Universities
Most of the Universities offer several scholarship programs for international students. They provided support of tuition fee, about 30-100% depending upon the academic results. To know about the scholarships offered by the Universities and Colleges in South Korea, click here